Saturday, November 29, 2008

OOPS

Did I say my dress was done? Silly me. I have yet to hem it and put in a few hooks and snaps. While hemming is usually an easy and relaxing task for me, think of all that binding that goes on all those quilts, this dress is a nightmare.
A big, slippery, blue nightmare.

Jeanie pinned it up for me last week. Me standing very straight and tall (well, as tall as I could muster), and trying to show off my very best posture. Per her instructions. "Are you SURE you're standing as tall as you can?" Yes, Ma'am. I took off the dress, stuffed it into my grocery bag and brought it home, where it still remains today.

I'm afraid to take it out of the bag. I'm afraid that when I do, the pins will fall out of that slippery blue satiny fabric, and I won't know where to put that hem. The situation wasn't helped in that we didn't shorten the dress BEFORE pinning it up, so 6" of fabric was lying on the ground and got pinned under. I'm not sure that was the best way to do it.

I intend to make it shorter by a wee bit than what she pinned, for if I slump or look down while wearing that dress, the hem is dragging on the floor. She left me no leeway at all. I don't think that's a good idea. I just know I shall fall flat on my face going up or down those stairs to the stage.

The little girls whose dresses need sewing STILL haven't shown up for their fittings, tho 5 of them are SUPPOSED to be at rehearsal tomorrow.

Two weeks.

2 comments:

ELIZABETH said...

Scene at the airport: lady borrows stapler from store clerk. Fixes hem on skirt.

Actually watched it happen and it looked ok. Could work if the hem needs doing day of the play. *laugh*

Kathleen said...

Oh, why didn't I think of that!! LOL!! I did get it hemmed tho....wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Today I pick up the pattern and fabric for the aprons. Four little girls are measured, and I'm sure I'll be handed a dress as soon as I whip out these aprons. Maybe I should take my time.....